2018 CrossFit Open at CFTC
Welcome! This page has been setup for the CFTC athletes that are interested in participating in the 2018 CrossFit Open.
CrossFit Open workouts will be scored Saturdays from 2/24 - 3/24 at 10:30AM at CFTC
- Wear a CFTC t-shirt for a group photo!
- Chest-to-Bar pull-ups: Use a wide grip, try to look over the bar and down at your toes as your chest touches the bar, think about pulling your elbows back
- Breathing: Take a big inhale when the bar is fully extended overhead during the thruster
- Thruster: Use a wider stance, and don't get too low in your squat. Use a grip that allows the bar to rest on your chest . Play around with not wrapping your thumbs around the bar to save your grip for the pull-ups, pull your hips forward as you stand and descend to keep your chest upright and save your lower back
- Get ready for some (more) deadlifts! 18.4 is a lot of volume for deadlifts and handstand push-ups. If you did yesterday's workout at CFTC and you're still attending class today, I'd suggest the following walk-through today:
21 deadlift (45/35)
3 handstand push-ups with the Open standard (film yourself, review film)
15 deadlift (45/35)
2 handstand push-ups (play around with hand position and kipping technique based on what you saw in the film, film yourself again)
9 deadlift (45/35)
- Handstand shoulder taps against wall
- Handstand walk attempt (no more than 3)
- Rounds 1-7 and 8-10 are the same approximate number of reps. Move smoothly on the first part, and be able to push on the 2nd part
- Maintain tension during burpees
- Mark hand placement position for burpees so that you can be the same close and consistent distance away from the barbell
- Jump feet to hands, then step close to barbell from beginning
- When cleaning the dumbbell, grab dumbbell close to head and hold as far back as possible
- Warm up to 70% 1RM for the clean, then start with the bar at 60% 1RM
- Plan to have 1-3 minutes to attempt the cleans
- Try your best to do the DB clean and jerk reps unbroken. These should take 25-40 seconds depending on your ability.
- If the DB weight is at all heavier for you, consider breaking up the toes to bar on each set, even from the beginning
- Above all, this is a ROWING workout. Over half of your time will be spent on the rower. From the beginning, focus on using as much leg drive as possible and keep a light grip on the rower. In the warm-up, pick a calorie pace per hour that you think you can stick to. Example paces are below. The point is that it's more important to pick and keep a sustainable fast row pace than to do your toes to bar unbroken
- Smile at some point during the workout. It's 20 minutes of your life, you might as well enjoy some of it :)
- Good luck!
Link to affiliate leaderboard
The CrossFit Open begins at the end of February, and here are the details relevant to CFTC.
What is the CrossFit Open?
A chance to test your level of fitness in a series of 5 workouts that the worldwide CrossFit community will participate in. CFTC has participated for the last 6 years and it's a great, fun (voluntary) way to test your fitness. The video below gives some more details.
Anyone who wants an extra challenge and the ability to be a part of a worldwide CrossFit event for 5 weeks.
5-week Rx & scaled workouts. The CrossFit Open is a chance to test your level of fitness in a series of 5 workouts that the worldwide CrossFit community will participate in. Although the atmosphere is more competitive, at CFTC we encourage the main competition to be proving to yourself what you are capable of and tracking the progress you've made.
The regular Friday classes will be the Open workouts (modified if necessary) but not scored. If you want your workout scored you can attend a special 10:30AM class on Saturdays from 2/24 - 3/24. Note: If enough people fill out the survey and opt for a different time, we will consider different options. If you are an unlimited member, it is a part of your membership. Punch-card and drop-in rates will apply otherwise. If you want a score, use the Friday class as chance to practice the movements and make a strategy. Each week, the workout will be released on Thursday night at games.crossfit.com. The scored workouts will be performed outside of normal class times because sometimes there are specific equipment needs and space restrictions that don't lend themselves to a normal class.
It's fun and a challenge! We already have 6 people signed up and it's a great way to get to know people outside of your normal class times.
Hope you can join us. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Remember, Fridays we will be performing a modified version of the Open workout. This is a chance for everyone at the gym to get a taste of what these workouts are like (very similar to our normal workouts of the day). However, it will give those interested in being scored on Saturday a chance to practice the movements at reduced loads and scale. The Friday workouts WILL NOT be officially judged, so if you register, please plan to come on Saturdays at 10:30AM. If you cannot make this time, contact Josh or Marcus to discuss a make-up time.